Valid’s work in Malawi has included:
- Malawi was one of the original 3 countries for the operational research for community based management of acute malnutrition.
- The development and testing of a whey-protein based RUTF. The study aimed to develop a new RUTF recipe and then trial the efficacy of this alternative RUTF against existing formulas
- To develop and implement a study on Probiotics and prebiotics for severe acute malnutrition (PRONUT)
- Research on PREWAS (A study to identify a nutrition intervention for the Prevention of Wasting in people living with HIV)
- A review of their Supplementary Feeding Programmes in-country
- To conduct preliminary trials of their CMAM training modules
- To implement Community-based Therapeutic Care (CTC) programmes in various districts
- To conduct a study that confirmed the efficacy of RUF as nutritional support for HIV infected adults
- To support research examining nutrition support for HIV/AIDS infected and affected individuals and communities
Analysis and Research in Africa (SARA), Concern, Clinton Foundation and US Dairy Export Council (USDEC), DFID, FANTA, Save the Children (US) and WFP were Valid’s main partners in Malawi.